Sunday, October 7, 2012

And the work comes rolling in!


Ne zabre!

So I haven’t talked too much about the projects I see myself being able to do in Silimidougou so I think I will do a little update on that. As most of you know, I am a rural development agent volunteer which is under the DABA program here. My work is supposed to entail mainly agriculture projects while also doing projects that are environmental based and entrepreneurial based. All volunteers in Burkina are also supposed to do some youth development projects and health projects. So as Dad said, “You can do anything and it will count as a Peace Corps project.”

My agriculture projects I think will be pretty vast. I am supposed to be getting a model garden once the gardening season starts (probably in November). I think this year it will be mainly a tool for people to see new techniques since that is what they said that they wanted. I may be setting up a compost pile there, cover cropping, intercropping and pest protection since those are all activities people have seemed interested in. I’m also working one on one with some farmers right now. Dominique is a great subsistence farmer that has four generations of his family in the fields. He grows millet, corn and has started planting mango trees to have a harvest at another part of the year. He’s a really sweet man and his son is really competent and hard working. It was his ‘brother’ that gave me my bunny – who is now dead (don’t worry I got two more that will hopefully have offspring soon). Omar is my farmer who is actually a businessman in Ouaga but is from my village so he continues to have a field that he cultivates. Two years ago he made half of his land a plantation of bananas and papayas – luckily for me I get a good share of this when I visit so no scurvy for me! So far, everyone has a keen interest in composting and water sources. The composting projects I’m already really excited about because people have a real understanding that their land is tired and needs to have a better soil quality to continue to be productive. Composting seems like a pretty great project that fruit farmers are interested in but also subsistence farmers so can be used with everyone to different levels. On the water front, I did not have a lot of feasible ideas – my thoughts always go to drip irrigation but the problem here is water availability, not water efficacy. Luckily for me, the agriculture agent that lives ten kilometers from me has a very interesting program for building miniature lake-esque that also receives a little bit of government funding so I think the water projects are also pretty possible.

As of right now, the environmental projects are the ones that are not materializing as quickly, very few people see planting trees as a top priority in the community. So I hope to be learning more about the needs and wants of the community before I get too stressed about this. I’ve met a lot of plantation farmers for tree planting – I guess that will count to some extent or another.

On the enterprise side, there is of course a lot of interest in the community. The challenge that I started with a lot is that people believe that the way to business development is to be handed money to start their business. So for a while the discussion was on starting small to build up their capacity themselves. I think there are a lot of people that are really excited to hear from someone that they can actually take the reins and create a profitable business. The word profitable is not a word here that they use very much. Everyone wants to make money but very rarely are people thinking about profits in their business or even breaking even. I have not met anyone in my community that does accounting but people seem interested in the idea of profits and inventory control. So far it seems like it will mainly be with younger men (I’ll be talking a lot more about them in the youth development section) and a few little boutique owners (male and female!). I’m hoping that once my Moore gets better I will be able to have a better relationship with the ladies that work in the marche and then I will be able to work with them too!

The health projects that I can be working on easily are HIV/AIDS projects, sanitation projects and malnutrition projects. An HIV/AIDS project would not be a project that would be at the top of the community’s needs. This is because thankfully Burkina has a relatively low HIV/AIDS rate and my village seems to have an even lower rate. A sanitation project at this moment I think would be because I am disgusted with human feces, not because the community wants it. So I plan on holding off on it for now – though watching people of all ages poop on the soccer field I play on each evening grosses me out and smelling human feces almost every evening is not what I call delightful. Malnutrition, as of right now, seems to be the most important community need when it comes to health. Babies, children, young adults, and the elderly all seem to be in dire need for nutritional attention. I have been invited to work at my community health center every Thursday morning to weigh babies, measure their heights, write it down for the health center (called a CSPS) and the mothers’ personal records, and then help with immunizations afterwards. It is really overwhelming but everyone puts in the time and effort to record all the information so it is doing something! The program could really expand though since right now there is no feedback to the mother of whether or not her baby is in good health. There is also, from what I can tell, a lack of information for the mothers if they are looking to get information about nutrition or other infant health information if they wanted it. I am really excited about being invited to do this and I really think it will be a great opportunity to get the next generation in great health!

The youth development aspect I think will be a great source of entertainment, opportunity but also frustration. The ‘youth’ here actually is defined as 20-35 year olds which then equates to solely 20-35 year old males. Let’s just say the first meeting I sat in on was a bit of a surprise but it does open new doors. About fifty percent of the male youth here ends up doing gold mining – the majority work independently and create their own mines. They are by far the youth with the most money but it is an extremely dangerous job. Most of the youth really want to start businesses and help strengthen their community. I am really looking forward to working with them but it will be a challenge as a young girl that in their minds is marriageable (I’ve been told I’m a bit old but still in the right range) I know there will be some barriers but I’m optimistic all will go well!

I am really excited about all the things I may be able to do. It is nice being in a community that is so motivated in so many directions! I am really happy and cannot imagine doing anything else right now or being anywhere else – though I do miss my friends, family, and food with true sustenance! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers