Thursday, August 26, 2010

First Week in Senegal

Salaamaalekum!

So I have almost been in Dakar a week now and have been quite busy. I've taken two days of survival Wolof (the classes are held in French which adds to the whole experience) and I've spent many hours doing the orientation to the program here. The past few days I've played numerous games of pick up soccer with the other students here and we get some Senegalese additions from time to time as well. Yesterday, we did a little bit of body surfing (no, I'm not quite sure how good the water is) and caught a lot of great waves! It sure is great being able to be swimming and watching the sun come down! We are in the middle of rainy season but so far it has only rained once, so I believe that does not bode well for plenty of water in the dry season.
I meet my host family tomorrow, it should be great! The neighborhood I'm going to live in is about a 30/45 minute walk and there are a bunch of others that are going to be walking with me, so should work out well. Tomorrow, in our orientation, we have a lesson on how to eat out of a center bowl with our hands - sounds like a challenge :-p


Soccer at Suffolk University

Just signed up for classes so I will be taking a French class, a Wolof class (in French), a seminar about Dakar and Senegalese culture (in English), a gender and development class (in English), and a public health and development class (in French). I'm pretty excited and I will let you guys know later how classes go next week!

Well, I believe that is all for now, so hope you all are doing well, keep me up on how you are doing!

Ba beneen yoon,

Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers